Many thanks to all the writers who sent in their tiny stories to win one of our new one-off mentoring packages. The theme was partnerships and we enjoyed reading all the takes on this, of which there were many!
We’ve got a bit behind with things as summer holidays and lots of courses starting and getting everything ready for the Online Flash Fest, so we’re publishing our shortlist here as well as our winners!
Many congrats to all!
- Joint and Several by Nancy Ludmerer
- Perfect Harmony by Alex Ruby
- Our First Touch by Sharon Boyle
- Our Turn by Tracey Stewart
- The Gift by Julia Abelsohn
- The Natural Order of Things by Meg Anderson
- The Sudden Emergence of a Rainbow by Laura Dobson
- Things I May Or May Not Tell My Granddaughter When Leaving Her My Final Instructions by Philippa Bowe
- Until Death Does Us Part by Jeff Taylor
Well done to our winners!
Our First Touch by Sharon Boyle
Sharon wins the Story & Structure Surgery with C.M. Taylor.
Why we chose it: Loved the narrative voice, the humour, the surreal turn this story took and how deftly what could have been quite a grim tale was handled!
The Gift by Julia Abelsohn
Julia wins the Character Clinic with Amanda Saint
Why we chose it: Such an epic feel to this tiny tale that covers a big span of these characters lives. Poignant and touching without being sentimental – great stuff!
The Sudden Emergence of a Rainbow by Laura Dobson
Laura wins the Flash Fiction Fix with Amanda Saint
Why we chose it: Fantastic details and layering of meaning in this story and the narrator’s shock, loss and grief are so wonderfully portrayed in so few words.
Until Death Do Us Part by Jeff Taylor
Jeff wins the Short Story Surgery with Peter Jordan
Why we chose it: Heartbreaking and hopeful at the same time and the final line packs a real punch. Loved the names and way the reality of the story came clear slowly.