The Creating Complex Characters Retreat12-16 March 2018, Sheepwash, Devon
You could win a free place at this writing retreat, which has 3 character-focused masterclasses and a 1-1 with author and Retreat West founder, Amanda Saint. Get all the retreat info here.
All you have to do to enter is write a short story up to 1500 words set in the Devon countryside in which you make us see, hear, smell and feel your characters. Make them come alive for us.
Prize: The winner gets 4 nights in their own room with all food, drink, classes and 1-1 included.
Entry fee: £15
Deadline: 5th November 2017
- Submit stories written in English through Submittable using the button below by 23.45 GMT on the deadline date (sorry late entries will not be included)
- The maximum word count is 1500 but there is no minimum
- Do not include your name on the story document or submission title but provide a short bio in the body of the email. All entries are read anonymously so any submissions showing the author’s name will be disqualified.
- Stories must be your own original work and not have been published online or in print, or have won any other competitions (longlisted and shortlisted places in other competitions is fine)
- By entering the competition you agree to attend the retreat and your story being published on the Retreat West website
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed but if your story wins a prize or is published prior to the winner’s announcement your entry will become ineligible and entry fees will not be refunded
- Stories can be in any genre apart from children’s fiction
- You can enter as many times as you like but must pay the entry fee and make a separate submission each time
- The judge’s decision is final
- There is no cash alternative for the prize and the winner cannot transfer to a different retreat