Send us the opening lines of your novel to win an editorial report
Do you have a complete draft of a novel and not sure what to do with it next?
In our Opening Lines contest you can win a review from a professional editor to help you take it to the next level.
- 1st Prize: An editorial report on a full MS up to 80K words
- 2nd Prize: An editorial report on first 10K words
- 3rd Prize: Feedback on your opening chapter
Entry fee: £10
Send the opening lines of your novel to be in with a chance of winning an editorial report.
Max word count for opening lines submission: 350
Deadline: 26th March 2023
- Submit your opening lines only through Submittable using the button below by 23.59 GMT on the deadline date (sorry – any entries that have included prologues, more than 350 words and/or a synopsis will be disqualified and fees will not be returned).
- International entries are welcome but all entries must be written in English and can be up to 350 words (no minimum word count) and on any theme and subject (except children’s fiction). Email entries are not accepted.
- Name the document you upload with your novel title.
- Please use a 12pt or 14pt easy-to-read font and double spacing.
- Do not include your name on the document, the title of your entry or the document you upload as it is judged anonymously. Any entries that have the author’s name on them will be automatically disqualified.
- The novel should be unpublished and not have been accepted by an agent or publisher – if it is accepted by an agent or publisher after submission but before the judging takes place then it will no longer be eligible and entry fees will not be refunded.
- You can enter as many times as you like but each entry must be made separately and the entry fee paid each time.
- The judge’s decision is final.
- There are no alternative prizes.