Our knight in a tree photo prompt had you all stumped this month! We received just 80 entries so the cash prizes are £120 for first place and £80 for second. Plus the surprise People’s Prize which will be revealed with the results. Despite the low number of entries the standard was high so our longlist is quite long!
Many thanks to all who entered. We enjoyed reading them all and congratulations to the writers of the following longlisted stories. No telling which is yours though!
- A Gaping Hole
- A Pine Regrets
- Blackbird Concerto
- Clambering Up the Level Playing Field
- Diary of an Indignant Nine-Year Old
- Ephemeral Grace
- Her Five Layers, Whittled
- His DNA in the Dust
- Hold the Sword Aloft to Get Into Character
- How the Woodland Got Its Curse or Damn Pineapples!
- If You’re Trying This Hard to Save Your Marriage Should You Call It a Crusade
- In Which My Botanist Father Becomes a Tree
- Madness of Mind
- Mummy Says, Let’s Keep It a Secret From Daddy
- None Shall Pass
- Norman Conquest
- Once a Knight is Never Enough
- Prayer to Maria Goretti, Patron Saint of Inmates and Rape Victims
- Role Model
- That’s What You Get
- The Heart of Joan Arc
- The Knight Awaits
- The Round Table Roundabout
- Tree: An Unauthorised Biography
- Tree Raider
- What We Are to Each Other, and What We Are Not
Best of luck to all – we’re busy reading again and the shortlist will be online on Monday! In the meantime, get writing for the lates Themed Flash Comp deadline which is in 12 days! Judge Ross Jeffrey wants your best stories on the theme of The Uncanny. Winner gets £200 cash and two runners-up get £100 each plus all stories are published on the website and get a professional recording from a voice and sound artist. Hear and read last month’s winners here.