Many thanks to all who sent in a story for this month’s contest. The prompt was a photo this time around and while we did receive lots of great stories, we also received a lot that were descriptions of the tree in the photo and not really a story! So our advice is, always try and think about the different ways in which the prompts can inspire stories rather than thinking it has to be very literal!
Hone your micro fiction writing skills in the new Monthly Micro workshop with Debbi Voisey.
We have some exciting news and we have introduced a new benefit to all levels of our Community Memberships for no extra charge, which is a Monthly Micro Workshop that happens on Zoom the Sunday before the prompt goes live on the website. The first one is on July 2nd 2023 at 19.30 UK time.
In the first half of this 1-hour long session, Debbi will dissect prize-winning micros and set writing exercises. Then that month’s prompt for the Monthly Micro competition will be revealed ahead of it going live on the website the next day and everyone will have time to write and get started on their entry. As stories need to remain anonymous for the public voting, there will be no reading out of stories in the session.
Not a member of the community yet?
Now back to this month’s comp and the longlist – well done to all who made it through!
- A New Family Tree
- A tree with only the blue sky between it and the sun
- All For A Good Cause
- Arteries of Retrospection
- Awaiting the last raptor
- Being It
- How to Carry Countries Inside of You
- In The Shade of My Mother
- In the year 2060, on our Golden anniversary, we return to our favourite place, in the woods where the birds once sang
- Names They Left Behind
- Out of the flames, we continue
- Telling the Tree
- The Green Green Grass of Home
- They burn women here
- When He Falls
- When I Die, Raise Your Arms to the Sky
- With a Little Preparation Transmutation Can Be Painless
Good luck for the next round everyone!