Many thanks to everyone who entered the first competition of the new year, and to Janice Leagra for providing the great prompt – FLIGHT.
We received 130 entries so the cash prize for first place is £195 and for second place £130. The winner of the People’s Prize vote will get the secret prize, which will be announced along with the results!
Well done to all of the writers whose stories are on this longlist. We’ll be announcing the shortlist on Monday. As always, we’re reading blind so no letting anyone know which is your story title if it appears below.
- A Birthday Present to Herself
- After Our Oldest Leaves for University
- Aircraft Effluent Brings Divine Comedy
- An Ever-Shifting Perspective
- Bird in Flight
- Dawn Walk
- Eagle Hearts
- Flight Path
- Flight Risk
- Just When She Thought Her Life Was Over
- Night Flight
- Night Flights
- On Being Pushed Down a Flight of Stairs
- Once, Twice, the Snow Fell
- One Must Imagine Sisyphus Happy
- Raphael’s Cherubs
- Searching for the Moment
- Snow Angel
- The Tooth Fairy is a Key Worker
- The Twenty-Five Year Silence
- There is a Place You Are Not Yet Welcome
- Time to Fly
- Too Late
- Uncle Anastasios
- Weekends While Mum Works
Good luck everyone!