Peter Jordan is a short story writer from Belfast. He has won the Bare Fiction prize, came second in the Fish prize, and was shortlisted for both the Bridport and the Bath short story prizes. His work has received various awards, including three Arts Council grants. Over 50 of his stories have appeared in literary magazines, journals and anthologies.
1st Prize £400
2nd Prize £250
3rd Prize £150
All winning and shortlisted stories published in the annual anthology – paperback and ebook – and receive a contributor copy
- £10 for 1 story
- £75 for 1 story with detailed feedback
Enter as many times as you like but all entries must be made separately and the entry fee paid each time.
Deadline: 25th October 2020
Word Count: 1500 – 3000 (title not included)
Writing a winning story: The best way to discover what kind of stories impress the initial readers and the judges is to read them. Get copies of the winning stories in the 2016, 2017 and 2018 prizes below. The 2019 anthology will be published soon.
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
- Submit stories written in English through Submittable using the button below by 23.45 GMT on the deadline date (sorry late entries will not be included).
- Do not include your name on the story document or submission title but provide a short bio in the body of the covering note as we can’t see this until we’ve accepted stories. All entries are read anonymously so any submissions showing the author’s name will be disqualified.
- Stories must be your own original work and not have been published online or in print, or have won any other competitions (longlisted and shortlisted places in other competitions is fine).
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed but if your story wins a prize or is published prior to the winner’s announcement your entry will become ineligible and entry fees will not be refunded
- By entering the competition you agree to your story being published in the winners’ anthology
- Stories can be in any genre apart from children’s fiction and erotica. YA is acceptable.
- You can enter as many times stories as you like but all entries must be made separately and the entry fee paid each time.
- The judge’s decision is final.
- There will be a launch event for the anthology of winners and cash prizes will be paid on publication of the anthology.
- Cash prize payments will be made through PayPal only so you must have an account to receive your prize.
- There is no alternative prize.
If you sign up as a Retreat West Author Member you’ll get entries to our competitions included in your benefits package, as well as whole load of other great stuff to get you writing, learning and submitting more.Join our writing community