Many congratulations to the winners of our final Monthly Micro comp of 2023! And well done to all who were shortlisted, longlisted and who wrote and sent a story!
First Prize and People’s Prize: These are all the things I think when my sister tells me she’s pregnant by Fiona Dignan
Why we chose it: Great imagery and narrative voice as well as a lovely feeling of hope at the end despite the sadness of the story.
Second Prize: The Ages at Which Her Faith in Justice Will Transform into a Plaintive Wish for Good Luck by Liv Norman
Why we chose it: Excellent take on the theme and great whole life flash that has human emotion and social commentary.
- Eve and Adam, 1955 by Emma Phillips – Read it here
- Fairground Distraction by Julian Cadman – Read it here
- Fragile Night by Gabe Sherman – Read it here
- My Sister’s Life Was Nothing Like A Rollercoaster by Alison Wassell – Read it here
- Not a fair deal by Isabelle Hichens – Read it here
- Recall by Jose Varghese – Read it here
- The Fair Witch by Martin Barker – Read it here
Fiona and Liv win the cash prizes and Fiona also wins a ticket to the next Flash Fest!
We’ll be back in January with the next Monthly Micro comp! In the meantime, check out the 1000 Word Photo contest over at WestWord.