Drum roll…finally we have the shortlist. Thanks to all the writers on the longlist for their patience while Louise and I re-read the stories many times. We agreed on most of the stories below straight away but there were a few where we had to debate. Our final decision is below, and the names of the authors can now be revealed too. Congratulations to all on the shortlist below and well done to everyone who made the longlist too.
All of the following writers will receive a cash prize and have their story published in paperback and ebook by Retreat West Books.
The stories have now gone to the judges to read. Paul McVeigh will be choosing the top three for the short stories and Kathy Fish for the flash fictions. Results in February. This year’s prize will open in March and we have some great new judges lined up already.
2018 RW Short Story Prize Shortlist
- Between The Times by Richard Buxton
- Future Shock by Lorri Nicholson
- I Visit My Dad Every Thursday by Dave Murray
- Like A Dog by Rhys Timson
- Something Else by Sophie Kirkwood
- The Lost Letter by Lucy Duggan
- The Stutter by Alexis Wolfe
- The Tailor’s Shears by David Butler
- Will You Go Out Tonight by Joanna Campbell
- Satellite Presence by A.C. Koch
2018 RW Flash Fiction Prize Shortlist
- A Beige Spot by Manisha Khemka
- Broken Shackles At Her Feet by Dean Gessie
- Burger Raid by David McVey
- Connor And His Amazing Ejector Boots by James Ellis
- Gold Band by Niamh McCabe
- How to Friend Your Shadow by Frances Gapper
- Let It Snow by Gwenda Major
- Old Woman Cooking Eggs, Diego Valesquez 1618 by Fiona Mackintosh
- Sticking Point by Sherry Morris
- The Problem Is by Xanthi Barker
Best of luck to all of these writers for the final judging round.