The RW Flash Fiction Prize 2018Judge: Kathy Fish
Kathy Fish is a faculty mentor in Fiction at the Mile-High MFA at Regis University in Denver. Additionally, she teaches two-week intensive Fast Flash© Workshops. Her fourth collection of short fiction, RIFT, co-authored with Robert Vaughan, released in December, 2015 from Unknown Press. Her story, “Strong Tongue” was chosen by Amy Hempel for Best Small Fictions, 2017. Her work also appeared in Best Small Fictions 2016, edited by Stuart Dybek. She is the author of three other collections of short fiction: a chapbook of flash fiction in the chapbook collective, “A Peculiar Feeling of Restlessness: Four Chapbooks of Short Short Fiction by Four Women” (Rose Metal Press, 2008), “Wild Life” (Matter Press, 2011) and “Together We Can Bury It” available from The Lit Pub.
1st Prize £350
2nd Prize £200
3rd Prize £100
- All winning and shortlisted stories published in the annual anthology.
- £8 for 1 story. Enter as many times as you like but all entries must be made separately and the entry fee paid each time.
Deadline: 28th October 2018
Word Count: Up to 500 (title not included)
Writing a winning story: The best way to discover what kind of stories impress the initial readers and the judges is to read them. Get copies of the winning stories in the 2016 and 2017 prizes below.
- Submit stories written in English through Submittable using the button below by 23.45 GMT on the deadline date (sorry late entries will not be included)
- Do not include your name on the story or submission title but provide a short bio in the body of the email. All stories are read anonymously so any showing the author’s name will be disqualified.
- Stories must be your own original work and not have been published online or in print, or have won any other competitions (longlisted and shortlisted places in other competitions is fine).
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed but if your story wins a prize or is published prior to the winner’s announcement your entry will become ineligible and entry fees will not be refunded.
- By entering the competition you agree to your story being published in the winners’ anthology.
- Stories can be in any genre apart from children’s fiction.
- You can enter as many times stories as you like but all entries must be made separately and the entry fee paid each time.
- The judge’s decision is final.
- There will be a launch event for the anthology of winners and cash prizes will be paid on publication of the anthology.
- Cash prize payments will be made through PayPal only so you must have an account to receive your prize.
- There is no alternative prize.
If you sign up as a Retreat West Author Member you’ll get entries to these competitions included in your benefits package, as well as whole load of other great stuff to get you writing, learning and submitting more.
Join our writing community